Housing waiting list figures show need for investment in new social housing
The publication of the latest social housing waiting list figures has only reinforced the need to invest more in new build social housing, according to the Northern Ireland Federation of Housing Associations.
The Northern Ireland Housing Bulletin, published by the Department for Communities, show that the number of people on the Housing Waiting list has risen to 45,105, while the number of those in housing stress in now at 32,633.
These figures come just weeks after it was confirmed that 2022/23 was a record year for the completion of new social homes. Housing Associations completed 1449 new homes and started construction of 1956, surpassing the targets set by the Department for Communities.
Addressing the quarterly figures, Seamus Leheny, Chief Executive of NIFHA, said “Once again we have seen a rise in the number of people needing social housing and more who are in extreme housing need. On top of that we have seen that private sector rental prices are rising faster here than anywhere else in the UK, making the only viable financial option of housing social housing.
“Last year, housing associations showed that they can deliver on targets, and that the social housing development programme budget can be fully utilised to get new homes built. The figures published today only reinforce the need to invest even more in building new social housing in our cities, towns and villages.
“We have to be serious about reducing the number of families living in inadequate accommodation. We need housing solutions. Solutions which ensure more homes are built in the areas of need and that overcome planning delays and infrastructure issues. Housing associations are ready to play their part and take on the difficult issues, but we need to ensure that the political will is in place and that the financial commitment is made through the housing budget to support these essential new homes.”
The full statistical bulletin can be read here:
- Housing Bodies Express Concern Over Potential Cuts to DfC Budget
- NIFHA Responds to Department for Communities Budget EQIA Consultation
- Housing waiting list figures show need for investment in new social housing
- NIFHA Launches Local Government Manifesto
- NIFHA CEO notes record year for new social housing
- Domestic Assistant - Spafield Fold, Holywood
- NIFHA Consultation Responses
- Staying Warm Guide Published
- Support needed to improve sustainability in housing association stock
- FOYER NIGHT SUPPORT WORKERS: 2 posts