Its business is housing and associated care and support services, and from tiny beginnings in 1965, it has grown into a substantial organisation which provides:
- General Needs housing for families and single people;
- Purpose-built accommodation for older people;
- Supported housing for people with individual needs, including those with mental health difficulties; learning disabilities; alcohol/drug addictions; and those who are physically disabled;
- Support services for vulnerable groups under the Supporting People programme;
- Community buildings under the management of local communities.
Apex works across Northern Ireland with its head office at 10 Butcher Street, Londonderry and its Belfast office at 6 Cromac Place, Belfast. It is a not-for-profit housing association, led by volunteers and works to social enterprise principles. It employs over 600 staff and through its group structure it provides affordable housing both for rent and for sale.