Key housing challenges to 2021 include:
- Reclassification of housing associations as public bodies threatens our ability to build;
- Significant undersupply of new homes of all types and tenures;
- Forthcoming welfare changes could overwhelm low-income families;
- Providing housing, care and support to our ageing population;
- 90% of social housing estates are still single-identity.
To meet these challenges we need the following:
- Urgent legislation to help reverse housing associations’ reclassification as public bodies;
- 1,500 new social homes each year through annual capital budget of £100m;
- High-quality care and support through 10% increase in Supporting People budget;
- Robust scrutiny and mitigation of further proposed welfare changes;
- Step-change in delivery of new shared housing.
To read the NIFHA Manifesto for 2017 Assembly Elections, click here.